WHY WE'RE CALLED ABERGELE, PENSARN & ST GEORGE
ABERGELE began as a Roman town. Aber means the mouth of a river. Gele, originally Gelau, meant the blade of a sword or the tip of a spear in old Welsh. So Gelau could refer to a narrow, swift stream.
Modern Abergele and Pensarn grew with the coming of the railway in 1848 – but it is much older than that. The hills above are studded with Iron Age forts, and it later became a Roman trading town and medieval marketplace. There has been a Christian church here since at least the eighth century and Abergele was home to an important Celtic monastery.
PENSARN means 'end of the causeway' in English. The crossing of Morfa Rhuddlan was facilitated by a causeway near the sea, located at this point.